Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Extremely Rich Character Sighting: Dexter Bennett

Amazing Spider-Man #607 by Joe Kelly, Mike McKone & Adriana Melo

Here's a question for the readers: How rich do you suppose Dexter Bennett is? This guy claims to have been responsible for about 50% of the new construction in the 1980s. Remember that the construction industry in comic books is a highly profitable organization--more so than on real-Earth. The reason being simply that there are devastating blows to major DC and Marvel cities occurring basically every single day. On Monday, Bullseye might blow up a building, on Tuesday the Green Goblin might pumpkin bomb a bank, on Wednesday Galactus might try to take over again, and so on. It's become quotidian.

The 1980s was a particularly significant decade in overwhelming destruction. There were major events/storylines such as "Secret Wars", "Hulk in Exile," "Mutant Massacre," "Armor Wars," "The Evolutionary War," "Inferno," "Atlantic Attacks," and so forth. And those are just the major events. They don't take into account your run-of-the-mill pumpkin bombing.

So when Dexter Bennett says that he was involved in a huge chunk of construction in the 80s, we know that he must be loaded. About 1/2 the time New York City gets completely leveled by one of the aforementioned events, his company is there doing all the building repairs and restoring everything back to normal so that the villains can knock it all down again. Now of course we don't know how much of this sort of post-apocalyptic reconstruction is typically done by private companies like Bennett's. It might be a public works effort. In fact, there might be some sort of task force standing by with shovels waiting to rebuild after the next attack. Also, we don't know what Bennett exactly means by "new construction" -- it might imply that his business dealt exclusively with new endeavors, not renovation.

If he was involved, though, this could be one of the richest men in the world. Not only would have have made a ton of money from operations, but he claimed that he had only gotten into the business for "tax shelters only." The implication here is that he was already independently wealthy, but didn't own a business. Can you imagine how much money this guy must have? He may have more assets than Tony Stark. He certainly does now since he has extra cash to throw around to purchase newspapers (Dexter Bennett is now the owner of the DB) and Tony's assets have been seized by Norman Osborn.

It's a wonder that Bennett did not become a supervillain himself. After all, we know from one of our earlier posts that millionaires = crazy. Actually, Dexter Bennett is so sane that he backed out of a deal his partner made that he knew to be criminal. And boy what a deal it was. More on this later...

8 comments:

Will said...

You have entered into the most confusing trap of comic books. Most heroes are far too young to have really been involved in significant action in the 80s and yet we know they were. Peter Parker is supposed to be about 30, right? That makes him born in '79, but we have books showing him interacting with historical figures from before those times. In any case, it is possible the 1980s are, in the current view of Spider-Man, a period before the rise of heroes and construction might have actually been quite stagnant.

ShadowBanker said...

I like to imagine that all of these heroes exist through some infinite time continuum. No ordinary people do. Just folks like Spider-Man.

Will said...

@Shadow That works for me. It will explain why Spidey has met Nixon and Obama. It also means that MJ is the greatest catch in history considering she is a super-model and never ages (assuming that is your thing).

linkwheel said...

Wonderful learn, I simply handed this onto a colleague who was doing some research on that. And he actually purchased me lunch because I discovered it for him smile So let me rephrase that: Thanks for lunch! Anyway, in my language, there should not much good source like this.

sim so dep said...

There are certainly numerous details like that to take into consideration. That is a great point to bring up. I offer the ideas above as general inspiration but clearly there are questions like the one you convey up where a very powerful factor might be working in honest good faith. I don?t know if finest practices have emerged round issues like that, however I am certain that your job is clearly identified as a fair game. Anyway, in my language, there will not be a lot good supply like this.

link wheel said...

I have been trying to Gain entry to this website for a while. I was using IE then once I tried Firefox, it worked just effective? Simply needed to convey this to your attention. This is actually good blog. I have a bunch myself. I really admire your design. I know that is off matter however,did you make this design your self,or purchase from somewhere? Anyway, in my language, there usually are not much good supply like this.

quality backlinks said...

Daniel, yea I can see what you did there. I actually liked that part, but hehe I'm not that harsh like my dad with these things. He at all times tells me crazy stories again in the day and calls me a loser. I assume it's time I transfer out of my parents' basement LOL. Aaanyways, what about you? what does your dad assume xD" Anyway, in my language, there usually are not much good source like this.

bp claims process said...

Daniel, yea I can see bp claims process what you did there. I bp claims process actually favored that half, but bp claims process hehe I am not that harsh like my dad with these things. He bp claims process all the time tells me loopy stories back within the day and calls me a loser. I bp claims process assume it is time I move out of my mother and father' basement LOL. Aaanyways, what about you? bp claims process what does your dad suppose xD" Anyway, in my language, there aren't a lot good source like this.