Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Who Ever Said Amusement Parks Were Fun?

In issue 3 of Gerard Way and Gabriel Ba's Umbrella Academy: Apocalypse Suite series, a coalition of flying robots called the Terminauts, created by the sinister Dr. Terminal, have set fire to a carnival and began wreaking havoc on a children's fair as our heroes from the Umbrella Academy tried to stop them. Though they found semi-valiently, the end result still appeared to be massive destruction and casulaties. Towards the end of the issue, Way and Ba produce a table of statistics of the current year's estimated number of amusement park ride-related injuries, courtesy of the Families Against Amusement Parks Association (FAAPA). Taking a look at his table, we can see a total of 2,173 injuries, a good 50% of which coming from roller coasters alone.

Setting out to find actual, real-Earth statistics on amusement park injuries, I came across a report from the National Safety Council for the International Association of Amusement Parks and Attractions (IAAPA--I'm sure Way's acronym is not a coincidence), which reports similar data based on an annual survey. Below I have reproduced some of the data for the years 2005, 2006, and 2007.

Year
Characteristic
Total
Children's Rides
Family and Adult Rides
Roller Coasters
2005
Estimated Number of Injuries
1,713
192
1,131
390
2005
Percent
100%
11.2
66.0
22.8
2005
Injuries per Million Patron-Rides
0.9
0.8
1.0
0.9
2006
Estimated Number of Injuries
1,546
177
943
426
2006
Percent
100%
11.4
61.0
27.6
2006
Injuries per Million Patron-Rides
0.9
0.7
0.9
0.1
2007
Estimated Number of Injuries
1,309
134
759
416
2007
Percent
100%
10.2
58.0
31.8
2007
Injuries per Million Patron-Rides
0.7
0.5
0.7
0.9

As we can see here, the number of injuries in each year is less than the total number of injuries in the FAAPA data. Also, roller-coaster related injuries seem to account for a smaller proportion of the total injuries than they do in the Umbrella Academy universe. This is probably not due to any significant variation in methodology--the IAAPA data is taken from facilities that operate fixed-site amusement park rides and the table reproduced shows the ridership-based injury estimates. The FAAPA data also likely focuses on fixed-site rides.

I suppose the point is that the FAAPA data includes damage caused by the Terminauts and other such superhero/supervillain-related attacks. However, I wonder if these can really be considered ride-related injuries. Does anybody know whether the IAAPA data includes injuries or fatalities that occur through indirect sources? Suppose a robber decided to hold up an amusement park and wounds some civilians riding the carousel. Would this count?

No wonder that there exists an association against amusement parks. They're not all fun and games in comic books.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Families Against Amusement Parks"???I guess some people just want to go through life being mean-spirited rubes. Next thing you know, somebody will form a group "Families Against Laughing and Smiling".

Shithead said...

Mind you, the Joker does seem to have a yen for amusement parks - they feature heavily in both The Killing Joke and The Dark Knight Returns - which obviously pushes up the death count considerably.

Glen said...

There's also Arcade's Murderworld.

Penis Enlargement Pills said...

I am thoroughly convinced in this said post. I am currently searching for ways in which I could enhance my knowledge in this said topic you have posted here. It does help me a lot knowing that you have shared this information here freely. I love the way the people here interact and shared their opinions too. I would love to track your future posts pertaining to the said topic we are able to read.

sim so dep said...

Thanks for this article - it highlighted some of the link building aspects I thought were important. In as much as quality link is relevant, content is still king.

linkwheel said...

Unbelievable submit! This could support a number of individuals find out about this matter. Do you need to incorporate video clips along with these? It could undoubtedly help out. Your purpose was spot on and owing to you; I most likely won't have to explain all the pieces to my pals. I can merely direct them here. Anyway, in my language, there will not be a lot good source like this.

quality backlinks said...

Completely understand what your stance in this matter. Though I'd disagree on some of the finer particulars, I feel you did an awesome job explaining it. Sure beats having to analysis it on my own. Thanks. Anyway, in my language, there aren't much good supply like this.

link wheel said...

I've to say, I dont know if its the clashing colours or the unhealthy grammar, but this blog is hideous! I imply, I dont want to sound like a know-it-all or something, however may you will have possibly put slightly bit more effort into this subject. Its really interesting, however you dont characterize it properly in any respect, man. Anyway, in my language, there aren't much good source like this.

Inversiones en petroleo said...

hello, i think that this post is the best that i have read.

Invertir en oro said...

I am thoroughly convinced in this said post. I am currently searching for ways in which I could enhance my knowledge in this said topic you have posted here.

negocios rentables said...

hello, i would like to read more about this interesting topic beacuase
it is really interesting.