Thursday, May 6, 2010

Sadness=Profit: Comics and the Grief Industry

When someone dies, it can cause a lot of grief. Everyone who knows the recently deceased individual will likely feel some pang of sadness. But things get more complicated when the person who dies is famous. Rather than family and friends mourning, it's possible that the entire world will grieve.

In American history, the deaths of famous figures like John F. Kennedy, Martin Luther King Jr., Princess Diana, and Michael Jackson have all caused national if not worldwide mourning.

But in modern times, it seems that the way people grieve has changed. Grief seems to have taken a more profitable approach. Take Michael Jackson for example. A film biography/concert, "This Is It", released 4 months after the singer's death grossed $71 million according to IMDB. Jackson's death also inspired books and yet another film soon to be released. A lot of people made a lot of money when Michael Jackson died. By catering to a massive audience of grieving fans who appreciated their idol more than ever, keen businessmen were able to make quite a fortune.

It seems that grief is indeed an industry.

And as reality imitates art, we should be seeing the grief industry in comics.

And we do. After the death of Captain America, the comics world showed how the grief industry can act. With Captain America gone, many people tried to capitalize on his absence. Captain America #600 portrayed an individual selling Captain America memorabilia which had quadrupled in value after the hero's death. He profited handsomely from the sale. Movies were made and so were books. Norman Osborn even played off of Cap's death by painting himself red, white and blue and calling himself the Iron Patriot.

Now we comics readers have witnessed another tragic death in X-Force #26.

SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS!
Nightcrawler is DEAD!

Nightcrawler from Giant-Size X-Men #1, art by Dave Cockrum

Kurt Wagner the wonderful German acrobat, priest, demon spawn, X-Man has ceased to be.

Nightcrawler heroically gave his life in X-Force #26 to protect the mutant messiah, Hope, from evil machines bent on destroying all mutantkind. Despite being impaled through the chest, Kurt mustered the strength to teleport Hope across the distance of the U.S. (a feat he has seldom accomplished) and into the hands of his comrades.

In light of the fact that Nightcrawler was much beloved, it seems that its only a matter of time before the industry of grief turns its eye on this departed furry blue mutant. Will we see Nightcrawler commemorative plates? Tickle-Me Nightcrawler? Brimstone scented Nightcrawler cologne?

Or will there we a successful music single, akin to Elton John's reimagining of "Candle in the Wind" for Princess Diana? That song was extremely successful and became one of the most popular singles of all time.

But what tribute songs shall we sing for Nightcrawler?

WARNING, BAD PUNS ENSUE!

How about "You'll be Through My Heart"?

"Save the Last BAMF for Me"?

Cover art to X-Men: Manifest Destiny- Nightcrawler #1, art by Brandon Peterson

Regardless of how we mourn, we'll miss you Kurt. At least for the next five months until someone brings you back to life. Until then, bring on the merchandise!

18 comments:

Will said...

R.I.P. Kurt Wagner. At least you had one heck of a cool opening movie scene. (And, I am predicting a two year "death" period - which seems to be Marvel's standard now).

Tom said...

via VH1's "top love songs"


Eternal Flame (and Brimstone) - The Bangles
Faithfully - Journey
Best Of Mein Love
First Time Ever I Saw Your Fur - Roberta Flack
I Would Die 4 U - Prince
You Are The Sulphur Of My Life - Stevie Wonder
Always On Mein Mind - Willie Nelson
In Your Yellow Eyes - Peter Gabriel
Teleport Me To The Moon - Frank Sinatra

Save The Bamf! For Last - Vanessa Williams

Mark said...

@ Will- Yeah, but two years without that handsome face is far too long.
@ Tom- bravo good sir, "Best of Mein Love" is fantastic.

irtiq7 said...

This is absolutely true. It seems that life is reduced to a mere commodity nowadays.

@Tom: lol.. In Your Yellow Eyes - Peter Gabriel actually suits his personality too!!

Penis Enlargement said...

I am thoroughly convinced in this said post. I am currently searching for ways in which I could enhance my knowledge in this said topic you have posted here. It does help me a lot knowing that you have shared this information here freely. I love the way the people here interact and shared their opinions too. I would love to track your future posts pertaining to the said topic we are able to read.

kamagra said...

Interesting blog and you're doing an important job, the way like you redact the information isn't bad enough, actually I'm going to redact a similar blog with this amount of information. 23jj

link wheel said...

Hey cool weblog, just wondering what anti-spam software you use for comments because i get lots on my blog. Anyway, in my language, there should not much good supply like this.

sim so dep said...

Thank you for the sensible info. I was preparing to do some research about that. Even got a good magazine on that matter but the info was not as influensive as your post. I am very glad I found it. keep up the good work!

so dep said...

Wonderful learn, I simply handed this onto a colleague who was doing a little analysis on that. And he really purchased me lunch as a result of I discovered it for him smile So let me rephrase that: Thanks for lunch! Anyway, in my language, there usually are not much good source like this.

linkwheel said...

Completely understand what your stance on this matter. Though I might disagree on a number of the finer details, I think you probably did an awesome job explaining it. Sure beats having to analysis it on my own. Thanks. Anyway, in my language, there aren't a lot good supply like this.

linkwheel said...

Completely understand what your stance on this matter. Though I might disagree on a number of the finer details, I think you probably did an awesome job explaining it. Sure beats having to analysis it on my own. Thanks. Anyway, in my language, there aren't a lot good supply like this.

gulf coast claims facility said...

Howdy, i learn your weblog occasionally and that i own a similar one and i was just wondering if you get loads of spam feedback? If that's the case how do you forestall it, any plugin or anything you possibly can advise? I get a lot lately it's driving me mad so any help may be very a lot appreciated. Anyway, in my language, there usually are not a lot good supply like this.

bp claims said...

Took me time to read all the feedback, but I really enjoyed the article. It proved to be very useful to me and I am certain to all the commenters here! It is all the time nice when you cannot solely be told, but in addition engaged! I am positive you had joy writing this article. Anyway, in my language, there aren't much good source like this.

gccf said...

Utterly understand what your stance in this matter. Though I'd disagree on some of the finer details, I feel you probably did an awesome job explaining it. Sure beats having to analysis it on my own. Thanks. Anyway, in my language, there aren't a lot good supply like this.

bp claims process said...

I was questioning what is up with that bizarre gravatar??? I do know 5am is early and I'm not wanting my finest at that hour, but I hope I don't seem like this! I would nonetheless make that face if I am asked to do a hundred pushups. lol Anyway, in my language, there aren't much good supply like this.

gccf claims said...

Hi, I noticed a 3 of your interesting posted posts and needed to ask if you can be thinking about reciprocal pages? Group have weblog about alexis texas ass! Anyway, in my language, there should not much good supply like this.

sim so dep said...

I would love to track your future posts pertaining to the said topic we are able to read.

pharmacy reviews said...

This is my passion, I LIKE ALL THINGS related to comics, specially when they're comics I haven't seen before, it's a very good post.